Friday, May 6, 2016

Communion Boy

I had the pleasure of photographing Christopher's First Holy Communion portraits. The weather forecast and I were doing a tango this week (to put it mildly!) but we ended up having a great session with a lot of cloud cover (a dream for photographers) and just a few rain drops. I'll take it any day.

The first thing I do is look for the best light and here it is.
 Christopher looks so mature here. I really like his connection with the camera.
 We moved over just a few inches but captured a different look.
 Blurring the background really made Christopher "pop" in this image.
 When shooting on location, I have to search for backdrops. Shooting down with my subject standing in the grass is an instant backdrop. No big fancy cloth or stands needed!
 A traditional Communion shot.
 Use of blank space adds interest.
 Back to traditional and slightly more torso.
 I really like this angle, especially for boys (not sure why!)
 A true gentleman.
 In search of another backdrop, I found some nice light against the side of the house. You would think we were in a photo studio.
 I always love the details.


I switched to my macro lens that I typically only use for still life details or sleeping newborns....but Christopher obliged when I asked him to stay still so I can really capture the detail of his beautiful eyes.
 I like this composition and the way his eyes are looking out of frame.
 Again, he has a great connection with the camera!
 This angle of Christopher reading is sweet.
 I also wanted to do something with slightly more drama.
 Yep, that's his Baptism photo! Juxtaposing then and now is always fun.
 I like to have parents stand behind their children and blur them slightly. It keeps the focus (literally) on the child and adds the "aura" of the parent.
 Cheek to cheek with mom!
 My favorite shot of the day, especially with Mother's Day coming up.
God Bless Christopher and his mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment